Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Patchwork Girl response

When I first opened patchwork girl it was the exact opposite of what I thought it was going to be. I had no idea what I was in for and I was not too excited. My first question was "what is a hyper text?" to me it sounded like another type of flash file or something, I thought of it as something like a website with flash files. I thought it was going to be like everything that we have looked at so far. After all of these thoughts and ideas of what hypertext was going to be like, I actually opened patchwork girl to see what was inside. When I opened the program, I was a little confused as to what I was seeing. I saw naked women who looked as if she was stitched together and she looked kind of gross. Her hair was blowing in the wind and her eyes were closed. It was a black and white drawing, almost like something you would see on some gothic kids band t-shirt. There was no text or anything so I decided to click on her. When I did that the title page came up and it said Patchwork girl. Or a modern monster. By Mary/Shelley and herself. I did not understand why it said it was by Mary Shelley and herself. The creator of patchwork girl is Shelley Jackson not Mary Shelley. Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein so I was confused but I realized that patchwork girl was a continuation of Frankenstein after a while. So I was on the title page and I did not know what to do, I tried clicking on the title and all that happened was a red box surrounded it. There were no links to the story and there was no way out. Then I clicked on the words below it. I clicked on the link that said "the graveyard and it brought me to a different screen. At this screen there was the patchwork girl’s body but it was all separated like a puzzle. I clicked on it and it said "I am buried here; you can resurrect me, but only piece meal. If you want to see the whole, you have to sew me back together yourself" after I saw that I did not know what to think. I had a feeling that this was going to be a very weird piece of hypertext. I kept clicking and the story got weirder a weirder as it went along. There was no real structure to the story and I had trouble following it while I was reading. After a while it brought me back to the original body that I started with. I decided to click it again in a different spot to see if anything different happened but nothing really changed, it just brought me back to the same title menu. I decided to click on the words under the graveyard to see what this story was all about. The words under the graveyard read "a journal" when I clicked on that link it brought me to a story. It was a woman talking so I am pretty sure that I was reading the patchwork girls journal. Throughout the journal, she has a negative view towards everything, she is talking about how the day is gray and how there is too much moisture in the air. It seemed like she was never happy. Then she said how she saw a monster. She was saying how she made this monster that had been constantly by her side. I feel that this monster was her and she loathed herself so much that she felt as if she was a monster and she is talking about herself in third person. She talks about how she feels that the monster does not resemble her at all but then she says she is not sure if she resembles herself. She is talking about this monster as if it is a completely different person but I feel that she is talking about the monster she sees herself as and she feels that she is a completely different person all together finished the journal and I was still very confused as to what this story was about. I know that she was talking about putting together a patchwork girl but I could not grasp the fact that she was trying to build a human. I feel that she has a deeper meaning when she is talking about building a human than actually getting the parts and making someone. I feel that she is trying to build a perfect person body and mind. I feel like she is talking about herself and the monster that she has created in herself, no an actual physical human being. So I went back to the title menu and clicked on the next words that were under the other two. It read "the Quilt". This one was not as simple as the other parts were. When I opened it, there was a paragraph about making the girl and gathering the materials but when I would click on it to go to the next page, the words magic lantern, peep show boxes, geometrical demonstrations, cartographic surveys, and engineering machines of all sorts. It puzzled me as to why those words became bold. Patchwork girl really confused me and I was really lost throughout most of the reading. After playing with that for WAY to long trying to figure out a way to go somewhere, I just went back to the title menu. When I got there I clicked on the next words that were in that list. It was called a story but it was the same exact thing as the journal. I thought it would be different but it was the same exact thing word for word. So after spending hours with this program and still being confused, I could not wait to be done so I clicked on the last link that read broken accents. The next page was a head with all different sections with different words inside each of them. It was a very weird looking thing but maybe it would help me understand truly what the patchwork girl was. This head helped me understand more that the patchwork girl was a reflection of the creator because the link that the head brought me to explained that the creator never knew where she was and did not have any view on the past or the future, she felt more comfortable remembering her dreams. She said she liked reading books because she knew where she was when she was reading them. The story was very confusing and put together very uniquely but I feel that it could have been a little straighter forward. I tried as hard as I could to get the concept and to understand what Shelley Jackson was trying to say but she made it very hard to follow. I feel that if I gave it more time I might have understood it more. After reading the patchwork girl hyper text, I feel that the patchwork girl was a monster that the creator saw in her and she actually created it to show the monster to everybody else. That is what I got out of patchwork girl, I feel that it was an excellent piece of hypertext and that Shelly Jackson is very talented but this piece was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment