Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Inform 7

When i first heard that we were going to be making interactive fiction i was very excited. I could not stop thinking about the possibilities and all the stuff that i could do. so many ideas popped into my head and i really could not wait to get started on the project. To have the opportunity to create my own world and let people navigate their way through it was so exciting for me. I loved being able to create work of my own because i love to put my ideas into something that i enjoy. I really liked the IF's that we did in class and it was really fun to play around with but while i was doing it, all i could think about was how I was going to make my own world and what i would do to make my world as puzzling as the one that the author created. i knew right away that i wanted to make a dream world that was out of the ordinary and where things did not need to make sense. I really like fantasy and fiction that is all made up, not fiction about realistic things with a made up story. I wanted the person who is interacting with this poem to have to use their imagination and to have to think out of the box. I want the reader to have fun with the story rather than get bored with normal things like getting out of a basement, or walking around. i want them to have to find their way through a place where they have no prior knowledge of because it does not exist. i had all of these wonderful ideas that i was going to do and then i looked at the handbook. i did not think that it was going to be as hard as it is and i was a little bit upset about that. I opened up the manual on vista and it was over one hundred pages long so i was not to excited about that. I decided to just open up the the program and give it my best shot and if i needed help, i would turn back to the manual. So when i started the piece i was trying to think of the best thing i could say to start the poem so i decided to make it simple, i simply typed "are you ready?". That is when i saw my first wonderful pile of wheels and metal that was telling me that i was doing something wrong and that i needed to fix it. little did i know that this pile of wheels and gears was soon going to become one my biggest enemies in this class. I asked for some help and i found out that i need to type in "when play starts say". i did not realize that this project was going to be so difficult but to put together but this was only the begining of one of the most stressful pieces of work that i have ever worked on. so i finally got the begining to work but it took some time because there were so many little things that i had to do to get one thing to work. after a long and tedious search through the manual, i finally found out how to make a room so i could start my story. For the longest time i did not realize that you had to start in a room and then i was confused because i wanted to start on the clouds but it said i had to start in a room. how can i start on a room if i want to start on the clouds but the reading eventually told me that everywhere you go, no matter what it is, it is still called a room. After i got the room thing down i needed to find out how to get myself to another "room" and that was not much easier. i kept typing in the moon is a room, you can go to the moon or the moon is a room, you can jump to the room but nothing seemed to work, i just kept getting the horrible pile of gears. then i started to think about the IF that we played before and i realized that everything was directional like north, south, etc. then tried the moon is a room, the moon is north of the clouds. Success! but then i wanted to get more creative. i realized that my image of the awesome world i was creating was fading away because the little things were getting so stressful so i forgot about the main picture. i realized that i had to start making things odd. so I decided to make an elevator on the moon because that seeded pretty odd. I started off by saying there is a sweet elevator on to the north in my description of the clouds. then said that the elevator is a room. the elevator is north of the clouds. it worked so i decided to put a cool description of the elevator and send it to the moon. i really liked the fact that when i wanted an elevator, i could just put it there. i love the freedom of creating an interactive fiction piece because you can create whatever your mind can create, as long as you can deal with the stress of trying to make it like that. The software helped me to create my dream world pretty well because it made me have to go in depth about the setting and character in order to make it work but i also had some issues with it. The software made it easier to give a better image of the setting but it took away from the adventure aspect. I went off track from my original plan because it was not going to be possible unless i really got to know how this program works. when it comes to writing IF or an original short story, i would pick IF hands down. It may be harder to get used to but it is well worth it when you master it. It creates a better interaction with the story than if you were to just pick up a story and read it. I feel that Interactive fiction is a great type of literature and i wish that we had more time to work on it because i am very interested to see what i can make out of the story i have started.

No comments:

Post a Comment